Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Gift of Cancer

Cancer is a gift to be embraced and then let go.
It has no hold on my life.
It entered my life briefly and had the effect of a huge red stop sign.
Everything in my life came screeching suddenly to a halt.
This thing had to be dealt with.
How?
It was unclear.
I am a 1st Degree Black Belt in the art of Shaolin Kempo Karate. A fearless warrior. In search of truth. I set about preparing for the ultimate test. I prepared mentally, spiritually, psychologically, and physically. As soon as I could move, I began my Qi Gong exercises, strengthening every day my mind, body, spirit. I pushed past my limits every day.
A gift? This requires explanation.
Of course, this is not a gift in the traditional sense. And believe me, there were moments of sheer terror, fear, and unbelievable stress.
At a meditation group last night, I drew three cards: Friendships, Intention, and Emergence. The greater explanation of each: Friendships were changing and new friendships were developing based upon common understandings, but old and new friendships are all based in love. During this time of recovery and renaissance, I experienced a tremendous outpouring of love from friends and family. This is a wonderful gift. Intention must be set to discover the true purpose and meaning of life. Robust health must be chosen; the intention must be set. Once established, then there is the freedom to choose my life's path unfettered by outside influences. This is a wonderful gift. Emergence of peace and happiness and the expression of true inner self support the fearless pursuit of my life choices. This is a wonderful gift.
Without the presentation of cancer, these gifts would not have been presented. Now that this disease has brought its gifts and its lessons, I have embraced it, expressed gratitude, and let it go.
I am moving steadfast on my true path, with my strengthened spirit, and the love of my husband, family, and friends, and I have left cancer behind. The storm is behind; sunny skies lie ahead.

Just say no to chemo

No comments:

Post a Comment